Life is funny. I trained 10 months for a 5 hour 30 minute race. I worked hard....early mornings, ran and cycled when it was raining/snowing/sleeting....and trained in pretty much every type of precipitation that can come out of the Vancouver sky.
....and 2 weeks before the big day: A nasty bout of bronchitis.
But here are 5 Reasons why I am NOT upset about being sick before my Half Ironman triathlon this Sunday:
- I put in a lot of hard hours in the pool/ocean swim, on the bike, and on the runs. I feel good about that. I am prepared.
- My goal was to use this half ironman as a test run for our full ironman, scheduled for June 2013 (Ironman Coeur D' Alene).
- If I can complete 70.3 miles swimming/biking/running with compromised lungs, headaches, coughing fits, and plugged sinuses.....I can do anything.
- If I have to take a DNF (Did Not Finish) because my body just wont cooperate, at least I'll DNF having tried (good life lesson there, eh?)
- Heidi still thinks sick triathletes are hot...and I'm pretty sure I am going to be the sickest one there....making me, undeniably, the hottest.
These are still, good days....