Sunday, October 11, 2009

Passion...

Some days ago I was sitting with a friend over a cup of coffee. He said to me, “You’re a man of many passions.” I responded defensively with, “No, no. I’m pretty simple, really: eat, sleep, invest in relationships, have fun…that’s pretty much it.” The look on his face told me I didn’t know what the heck I was talking about. But over the next two days, I just couldn’t shake it. Was he right? I began to think about all the things that I’m “in to”. So I created a list. Now, for something to make the list, and therefore be called a “passion,” it has to:


1. be something I’m currently involved in and have a long-ish track record of participating in it.;

2. create a regular experience of a high-level enjoyment , which rarely fades.


Here it goes (in no specific order or priority):


SPORTS

Basketball

Golf

Mountaineering

Ice Climbing

Rock Climbing (Sport & Trad)

Bouldering

Scrambling

Hiking

Cycling

Running

Kayaking/Canoeing

Skiing

Snowshoeing

ENTERTAINMENT

Watching movies (mainly rentals)

Attending Broadway musicals or live theater

TECHNOLOGY

Cameras (digital and SLR)

Mac laptops

Bicycles

Sporting gear (specifically for the passions under the “sports” category)

Engines

Any tool

RELATIONSHIPS

Jesus

Heidi & baby

Family

Friends

Church community

THINGS I SHOULDN’T BE IN TO BUT I AM

Ultimate Fighting Championship

Boxing

Cool shoes

AUTOMOTIVE

4x4’s/ Rock Crawlers

2nd generation 4Runners

American muscle cars (specifically: Chevy Chevelle, Dodge Charger)

The McLaren F1

Motorcycles

EDUCATIONAL

I enjoy learning about all my passions.

Studying theology (specifically, missiology)

HOBBIES

Ping pong

Building things with wood

Knowing about knots with rope

Reading (particularly adventure and travel literature)

Learning

Working on cars

Riding motorcycles

Sailing

Writing poetry

Photography

Blogging

ADVENTURE

Going on road trips

Going to the mountains

Travelling to other countries

Following Jesus

Parenting

GOD

Loving God with all my heart, soul, mind and strength, and loving others.

Preaching the Good News of Jesus

Discipleship

Serving the kinds of people Jesus hung out with

Performing baptisms & offering communion

Pastoral care

MUSIC

Playing guitar

Playing violin

Leading worship

Listening to classical music

FOOD

Beer

Coffee

English breakfast tea with cream

Spaghetti

Candy (Sour Patch Kids & Hot Tamales)

PASTTIMES

Going to the beach

Going to the coffee shop

Attending sporting events

Walking through art galleries

RANDOM

Oak trees

Isaiah 58 & 61 / Luke 4 and the Biblical concept of shalom

Children’s books


…did you actually keep reading? Wow. I’m impressed. I would have given up a long time ago. So…umm…I think I was wrong. Tomorrow I’m going to do a short post on the implications for having so many passions in my life. Until then, I’m going to go take a long walk (was that on the list?).

2 comments:

Kathy J said...

You've inspired me to think of my own list! Hope you enjoyed your walk.

joseph.david.white@gmail.com said...

Thanks for the good word, Kathy! I did enjoy the walk :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

You May Also Like