Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Pregnancy Group

For nearly the past 9 months, I have been receiving prenatal care from South Community Birth Program (SCBP). For the first 4 months, you meet with a midwife once a month, and then in the 5th month, have the option of either continuing with individual care, or joining a "centering" group comprised of other pregnant moms and partners due around the same time. Joe and I decided to do the centering group as a way of getting to know other first-time parents and to benefit from all the prenatal material they cover each group meeting (ranging from prenatal health & fitness to labor to breastfeeding to postpartum care). We are also provided with a doula as part of our care at SCBP, the only midwife group in British Columbia that provides one free of charge (the going rate for a doula is $200-300!).

Having a midwife, rather than your family doctor, as your primary care provider during pregnancy seems to be quite common here in BC, at least. In California, I would have had an OBGYN, but the health care system is quite different here in Canada, and OBGYNs are for special cases only. If I didn't have a midwife, I'd be with my family doctor. But, my closest girlfriends here have all been under the care of midwives, and have raved about the quality of care and expertise they received. So, I went with SCBP and have felt well taken care of throughout my pregnancy. They are strong advocates for natural births and believe that the female body was made to handle labor with as little intervention as possible. As much as I know that labor will be hard work and painful, it is comforting to know that we are in good hands!

Here's a picture of some of the gals from our pregnancy group tonight. Not everyone is there; Madoka (due Dec. 12) just gave birth to a baby girl, and Sarah (due in January) gave birth to twins a week and a half ago. The rest of us range in due dates from Dec. 2 - Jan 2. We don't meet again until Dec. 15, so it'll be fun to see who shows up with a baby in tow! It would be great if I was one of them...



4 comments:

Steven Gomez said...

Heidi, does that mean your baby will be born at home? Or do you still go into a hospital or care facility of some sort?

heidi.janeen.white@gmail.com said...

I'll be going to BC Women's Hospital for the birth. SCBP doesn't do home deliveries, but BCWH is one of the best in the province!

Joy Joy said...

That sounds like a great program and one that should be modeled more in the US. In our area of Colorado, nearly 75% of hospital births are done with midwives and the number is only going up. Interesting how being progressive has led us back to our roots, at least in terms of childbirth.

heidi.janeen.white@gmail.com said...

Joy, the program has been great, and it sounds like the care you received with Selah was just as amazing. I finally had a chance to read your and Mike's labor stories, and I was totally inspired to have a home birth. Won't happen this time, but maybe the next time around (unfortunately, this midwife program only does hospital deliveries). Thanks for sharing your birth story -- I have a strong feeling I'll be going down the vomiting road just as you did (as that's my normal bodily reaction when in severe pain). Thanks for at least "paving the way" and showing me that it can be done...without meds! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

You May Also Like