Thursday, April 21, 2011

I'm thinking about spoken word poetry...

Sarah Kay defines it this way: "Spoken word poetry is the art of performance poetry.  It involves creating poetry that doesn't just want to sit on paper but something about it demands it be heard out loud or witnessed in person".  

I've been told a handful of times over the years that I should try it....and again, last night, a student of mine said "Joe, you'd be good at spoken word poetry".  Really?  Thanks!  Probably not....but maybe...

My dad is a poet... and has a deep appreciation for good poetry.  He got it from my grandpa who also loved poetry and often recited his favorite poems at family reunions.  And...I have to admit...there are three things in my life that regularly bring me to tears: listening to certain classical music pieces, watching triathletes cross a finish line, and hearing powerful poetry.    

When I was in junior high and high school I wrote "poetry" to "figure stuff out"....and I acutally have a file folder with probably more than 100 hand written poems somewhere buried in a dusty file cabinet.

Maybe it's time to pull a few out and write a few more....

Maybe I could write and speak poetically...like these guys (is this poetry?):







Well, student of mine...you got me thinking....

we'll see


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

You May Also Like