Thursday, February 25, 2010

Deep Pain

A man we loved died today.
For many many years he mentored me, every week, for one hour.
He taught me about Jesus.
He taught me how to preach the good news of Jesus.
He showed me how to be a pastor.
He was my confidant, counselor, and friend.
He gave Heidi her first opportunity to preach in a church.
He did our marriage counseling, performed our ceremony, and kept in touch with us when we moved away to go to seminary.

This man inspired us to be like Jesus.

One day, we'll write about our grief. Right now...I can barely type. We feel so much pain/anger/confusion...etc.


The only words I can find comfort in at the moment are these:

Holy Sonnet X - John Donne

Death, be not proud, though some have called thee
Might and dreadful, for thou art not so:
For those whom thou think'st thou dost overthrow
Die not, poor Death; nor yet canst thou kill me.
From rest and sleep, which but thy pictures be,
Much pleasure - then from thee much more must flow;
And soonest our best men with thee do go -
Rest of their bones, and souls' delivery!
Thou'rt slave to fate, chance, kings, and desp'rate men,
And dost with poison, war, and sickness dwell;
And poppy or charms can make us sleep as well,
And better, than thy stroke; - why swell'st thou then?
One short sleep past, we wake eternally,
And death shall be no more: Death, thou shalt die.


If you are having trouble understanding this timeless poem...without me taking the time to offer my interpretation of it, you can go here for quite a good analysis.

11 comments:

Unknown said...

Thank you for pointing us to Donne's powerful sonnet, which redirects our grief toward hope. It reminds us what the Scriptures say -- that we grieve, but not as them who are without hope. We share your pain, and rest in the same hope.

joseph.david.white@gmail.com said...

Thanks Mom.

Kathy J said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. It soudns to me like his legacy will live on for quite some time as you live your daily life, Joe. May God comfort you and Heidi in this season of loss.

joseph.david.white@gmail.com said...

Thanks Kathy. Really appreciate that.

Alex C said...

My prayers go out to all of the FP family. Our whole community really loved him so much.

Beth said...

I will look up the notes on the poem - thanks for the link Joe.
I so concur with what Kathy J. said - what he stood for and taught you both still stands, and is part of who you are today . . . that is good. We grieve with you in part because we love him too through you both.
Interestingly enough, one of my favourite quotes on death is from John Donne too, "When one man dies, one chapter is not torn out of the book, but translated into a better language." Hard to imagine any "better language" than his being here still, but it is a comfort to ponder, and as the fog of grief starts to lift for you, there is hope in that too.
We love you guys. Thank you for sharing this with us and for making wise decision last night and today about putting yourselves in places where your faith community could listen, pray and love on you.

joseph.david.white@gmail.com said...

Thanks Alex.

joseph.david.white@gmail.com said...

Beth, thanks for the quote and encouragment.

Vanessa Smith said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Vanessa Smith said...

My mama called me this morning and told me the news. The answers to the who, what, and how, will never answer the why for us. I am deeply struck by his passing and pained by the sadness that preceded and follows it. Seeing his face in your photo intensifies the reality. I am so sorry for your personal grief and join you in your prayers.

joseph.david.white@gmail.com said...

thanks Vanessa. together we grieve.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

You May Also Like