Sunday, March 7, 2010

Death is Everywhere (Part 2 of 2)

Death is everywhere...but life is "every when"

A friend dies....death is everywhere

A baby dies...death is everywhere

BUT LIFE IS EVERYWHEN
From that time on Jesus began to preach, "Repent, for the kingdom of heaven has come near." (Matt 4:17)
The kingdom of heaven is where the King is. The Kingdom is near because the King has come near.

And where does this King go?
Jesus' first sermon and announcement of his mission: "The Spirit of the Lord is on me, because he has anointed me to proclaim good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim freedom for the prisoners and recovery of sight for the blind, to set the oppressed free..." (Luke 4:18)
The King and his Kingdom are with the poor, the prisoner, the blind, the oppressed. Given the list (clearly not exhaustive) it seems right to include the sorrowful, right?

Death is everywhere but life is everywhen
Psalm 51:17 The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit; A broken and a contrite heart, O God, You will not despise.

Psalm 145:18 The LORD is near to all who call upon Him, To all who call upon Him in truth.

Psalm 147:3 He heals the brokenhearted And binds up their wounds.

Isaiah 57:15 For thus says the high and exalted One Who lives forever, whose name is Holy, "I dwell on a high and holy place, And also with the contrite and lowly of spirit In order to revive the spirit of the lowly And to revive the heart of the contrite.
Everywhen.

When humans die...God is near.
When humans suffer...God is near.
When human voices cry out to God...God is near.
When human spirits are broken...God is near.

So...I live in two realities.
...I lament my mentors death and a mothers loss. I cry out...
...and I look for life from the life giver, for in suffering he is often seen.

Therefore....instead of dwelling on pain, I dwell with pain.

In hopeful expectation of the King who says,
"I am making everything new!" (Rev. 21:5)
...not someday far far away...but everywhen (Matt. 6:10)

2 comments:

Nancy Donat said...

I like this Joe! Thanks so much for sharing it. It was great to see you this morning!!!

joseph.david.white@gmail.com said...

Thanks Nancy! it was really great seeing you too! We love seeing you!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

You May Also Like