Tuesday, November 9, 2010

I've been thinking about trees....

I've always loved trees and felt like they represented me somehow.

I love this Ansel Adams photo of an oak tree...we have it in our place


I love lookin' up into them and takin' photos


or taking photos of trees with lots of color or ones that have interesting shapes




I love this scratch board illustration of an oak tree



Heidi and I have a mosaic on our wall above our fireplace of an oak tree (we'll do a blog on that one day).  It has become for us our family symbol.  Using the imagery of Isaiah 61:1-3 (the stuff that Heidi and I have given our lives to be about) we are compelled to become what Isaiah 61:3 declares are, "oaks of righteousness a planting of the Lord for the display of his splendor."

So, in honor of our family symbol....here's a little poem from our poet father (click the links to see his blog or most recently his poetry book)...here's his poem about a Sequoia from a trip be took to Sequoia National Park.  His blog provides context for the poem.  

In praise of all that reaches high
Of all that towers tall
Which in their redness pierces sky
And dwarfs the false gods all

I praise the mind that dreamed of giants
And planted them for me
And pray that I remain compliant
Then join their company 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

You May Also Like