Friday, October 31, 2014

When God Interrupts - Part 1/8

For the next 8 days, we are going to tell our faithful readers a story.  Our story.
It's the story that has slowly emerged in our lives over the last 11 months.
We hope you are encouraged by it.
If you don't want to wait for 8 days….you can listen to this podcast (33 minutes) of us telling our story to our church congregation.

Part 1 - When God Interrupts



Last December I was sitting in church on a Sunday morning singing worship songs with the congregation I love and have been pastoring for the last 8 years.  A crystal blue thought came to mind.  The thought was a question. “Are you still called to this?” In my mind I answered the question saying, “yes” and I put the question out of my mind and continued singing.  However, on the way home from church I was still thinking about the question.  The question irritated me.  “I’m happy doing what I do!  I’m totally content!" I thought to myself…And yet, the question disturbed me.  In fact, the next morning I woke up with the same question on my mind –-  “Are you still called to this?”  For the next week, this clear question was at the forefront of my mind.  I couldn’t escape it.  It was all my mind “wanted” to think about.  It started becoming a problem for me.  I journaled about it daily.  In once instance in early January I wrote, “God, please put this out of my mind.  If I continue to think about this it’s going to develop into a problem for me. I like what I do, who I do it with, and I am totally content in the calling that you have for me at Granville Chapel.”   But the question didn’t leave.  In fact, the question only intensified for the next three months.  It was a time of great paradox -- while feeling intensely committed and satisfied by our call to Granville Chapel, internally I was deeply unsettled and insecure.  “God, what are you doing to me?” I thought.  I didn’t know the answer to the question.   Neither did Heidi.  She just thought I was going crazy.   


Part 2 (tomorrow)  – A Miraculous Event?    


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

You May Also Like