Saturday, November 1, 2014

A miraculous event? - Part 2/8

For the next 7 days, we are going to tell our faithful readers a story.  If you missed part 1, click here
It's our story.
It's the story that has slowly emerged in our lives over the last 11 months.
We hope you are encouraged by it.
If you don't want to wait for 7 days….you can listen to this podcast (33 minutes) of us telling our story to our church congregation.


Part 2 - A miraculous event?

From December through March I felt like I was going crazy -- I couldn't sleep at night and I was restless during the day.  I was deeply unsettled.  And yet this feeling of profound insecurity was nebulous and seemingly without origin. I was content in all areas of my life!  I prayed, read scripture, talked with people, and sought mentoring.  Nothing was answering my question, "God, are you saying something to me?" For months, this lingered.  Heidi thought I was going crazy.  "What's wrong with you?" She said at one point.  "I've never seen you like this!"  She was pregnant with her own questions -- she was expecting the birth of our newest boy in the coming month.  One evening in early March, I was totally frustrated and angry with God.  I knew God was unsettling me but he wasn't saying anything -- no matter how hard I prayed, listened, read scripture, sought mentoring….nothing settled my heart.  No peace.  Where is the last place you would ever thought you'd live?  For Heidi, that was Fresno, California.  We both left nearly 10 and 14 years ago.  In a moment of frustration one night at our living room table I blurted out, "Maybe God is just asking us to move to Fresno."  The O of FresnO had just left my lips and my phone goes beep-beep.  A message had popped up on my screen.  The message read:  "What to move to Fresno?"  It was sent by a man I hadn't had communication with for 16 years.  My heart pounded.  "Was this from God?"  I replied to the message asking him if he knew that we were in a season of discernment and that we didn't know what God was asking us to do.  He responded quickly (he must have been online when we replied to his message.)  He said, "No, I didn't know that you were in a time of discernment.  I was sitting in church the other day, and the pastor spoke of a job opening at our church and you were the first person who came to mind.  I thought that was strange, so in due diligence I got in touch to see if you'd be interested in moving to Fresno."  He sent a link to the job description at his church.  I clicked on the link and knew instantly it was NOT the job for me.  It was a job I would have been terrible at.  "So if it wasn't about the job" I thought, "what was it about?"  God, are you asking us to consider moving to Fresno?  I hadn't considered it for nearly 10 years.  

Part 3 (tomorrow) - Resistance 


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

You May Also Like