Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Why I'm not drinking coffee

Some of you know, about a month ago, I stopped drinking coffee. For people that know me...this is HUGE. I drink it all the time. In the morning, when I go to work, when I work, when I take walks, when I sit in meetings, and after the sun sets.

The thing was...I didn't think I was addicted...because I can drink coffee all day long...and still fall right asleep. No problem.

But a month ago, I was starting to feel bloated all the time...so I thought that caffeine may have something to do with it....so to see if it was that....I cut it out of my diet, completely.

Sure enough....for the next 4 days...my body and brain were totally wrecked. I felt like I had a 4 day, severe hangover. Then, for the next three weeks...I had a lingering headache, present at every waking moment.

I realized something. That in my life:

So here's my conundrum: I don't really want to be addicted to anything, but I don't drink coffee for the caffeine...I drink it for the taste. I truly enjoy the taste of coffee.

So pretty soon, I am going to introduce coffee back into my diet...with some changes. I think I'll just drink decaf (which has a bit less caffeine) and only drink it once a day.

A good compromise? I don't know...but it's the best I can do untill someone produces a caffeine free coffee bean which has a similar taste to Pete's Dark Roast (yummm)

Share/Bookmark

8 comments:

Jonathan said...

and you stopped eating sour candies

Vanessa Smith said...

I gave up caffeine for all of my pregnancy and for the first 5-ish months of nursing; then introduced it slowly back in. (As far as the benefits of caffeine were concerned, it was a cruel joke that I gave it up when I was the most tired I had ever been!) It was a shock at first, but I had the same problem as you. I LIKE how coffee tastes. I got used to decaf, though you are more limited for sure. Good luck as you navigate this new lifestyle :)

Barry Jung said...

we only have decaf in the Jung household... hmmm, maybe just one bag of regular for those those guests that need the fix.

Joan's going through withdrawal too after drinking regular while in Chicago.

Jeremy Rios said...

I feel your pain, Joe. It's the same for me and soft drinks--don't love the caffeine, but I love, love, love the fizzy coldness. I found a reasonable substitute with club soda and a splash of juice...but I don't think that would work with coffee. :) Hope you can find a suitable substitute! (Liesel, on Jeremy's account)

joseph.david.white@gmail.com said...

Jonathan, i know...no more candy! its a freekin miracle!

joseph.david.white@gmail.com said...

vanessa, thanks for sharing. are you drinking tea then? or just decaf?

joseph.david.white@gmail.com said...

hey Barry, im still in withdrawl...and its been a month!

joseph.david.white@gmail.com said...

Liesel,

ill have to try that soda thing...and if you hear about a coffe bean with no caffine...let me know!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

You May Also Like