Friday, June 18, 2010

Do you have a depressed friend?

Have you ever felt like you didn't know what to say? Here's some helpful things you can say, courtesy of the Ducklow's blog.
  • You’re not alone in this.
  • You are important to me.
  • You are not going crazy.
  • When all of this is over, I’ll still be here and so will you.
  • I can’t really understand what you are feeling, but I can listen.
  • I’m with you. I’m not going to give up on you.
It's so easy (and potentially damaging) to try to "fix" your depressed friends and "cheer them up".... But, sitting patiently, listening actively, and showing you care by speaking the words listed above can a gift known as the gift of presence to those you love who are depressed.

Here few resources for you:
A great interview about depression
A helpful website with loads of resources
A good counselor (in Vancouver, BC area)
A very good lecture
A helpful book

Share/Bookmark

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

You May Also Like